Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Are they growing?

We had our second ultrasound to look at our follicles this morning.  Unfortunately, Phil had to work so I was going alone until I lucked out and my cousin Amber was able to go with me.  It's so funny, I was so nervous on the drive to the appointment.  I think knowing everything is so close to happening plus we have had some exciting things on the home front also so it all just hit me at once!   I was just nervous as could be.  My cousin happened to be in the area because her son goes to preschool right near my doctor's office so she met me at the office.  No joke the second she pulled up so much anxiety went away, just having someone with me to distract my brain was so helpful...thanks Am!

Amber and I entered the lobby waited a few minutes and then we proceeded back to the ultrasound room.  I made a pit stop in the bathroom because boy oh boy does having 8 follicles fill your lower body up quickly.  I think it's preparation for the days to come of peeing every 5 seconds while pregnant, lol!  For last 2 days the pain of cramping has been getting worse as it can be expected so I assumed that everything was moving forward as it should be. 

The doctor came in and started the ultrasound.  Looks like everything is good, the 2 follicles on the right aren't growing as much as they had hoped and the 8 on left are now 9, and a few are almost to the measurements they would like.  She decided to give me one more dose of meds so that hopefully everything will grow even larger but she doesn't want the ones that are almost there to mature too much.  It's such a scientific process, of course, but I am glad they know exactly what they are doing.  The doctor believes I will have about 9 follicles, however, some may not contain mature eggs and some may not contain eggs at all.  She is hoping to get at least 6 mature eggs that they will be able to fertilize.  I was sent from there to get my blood drawn to double check my hormone levels because she isn't sure why things aren't maturing as they should.  Of course she said not worry, so I'm not going to.

We left with a new calendar, with a few blanks in it but here is how the next few days go.  Tomorrow Wednesday - shot in the morning, meds as usual no night shot, wait for a call to see when I give myself the HCG shot (which I believe releases the eggs for retrieval), Thursday just lunch meds which are prenatal vitamin and steroid, and then Friday will be egg retrieval day!  Amy showed me how to mix the HCG med for the shot that releases the eggs.  It is a huge needle, a lot of meds and this time it goes into my rear end!!!!  OUCH!  But I am ready for this!

I came home and shared all of the paperwork with Phil.  I found him hunched over the kitchen counter with this worried look on his face...he said he is so nervous to give me this shot.  Lately, the shots in my stomach have been burning and he hates to see me in pain, so sweet right?  Ha ha....  This one will hurt there's no doubt about it but it's for a great cause!

No comments:

Post a Comment