Tuesday, May 6, 2014

First real doctor's appointment!

Here we are headed to our first doctor's appointment!
We are such nerds!
 
 
Phil and I met with Leslie, who is our head nurse for our IVF clinic.  Amy is our personal nurse but she only works Mondays and Wednesdays so since our first real appointment was today on a Tuesday it was handled with Leslie.  This was the first time Leslie met Phil, and of course like most people do, they hit it off just going back and forth with sarcasm.  Normally, this would annoy me just a little because you all have to understand, my amazing husband is a smart a@# most of the time and it's funny however, all of our children have now developed his behavior and being around smart booties all day long gets exhausting!  Ha Ha!  SO we walk in the room to sit down and Leslie gets out her fake stomach, a needle and some sodium chloride to show us how to do the first set of shots.  She begins with "have you ever given yourself shots before?'  And of course Phil chimes in with yeah back in the day with your crack habit, and Leslie proceeds to say I know I couldn't kick my Heroin addiction either but this is a different kind of pricking!  Needless to say, those of you that know me, know that I am the goodie goodie that never touched any drugs so I was so glad the nurse just rolled with my husband's humor! 
 
 
Leslie proceeded to explain and show us how much and where to put the medicine.  I begin on 15U of Lupron given in the morning with a tiny needle, very similar to an insulin needle.  It didn't look that painful at all!  I really don't get affected by shots, it's more the side effects of meds that always gets me.  And of course this one has it's fair share of side effects; mood swings (this is the one the whole family keeps commenting on, I guess I must already be MOODY, lol), headaches, and hot flashes.  I should be able to handle those just fine.  We think we will be good to go for our first dose tomorrow morning. 
 
 
After meeting with Leslie, she sent us over to Maria the financial side of this process.  Yes, it is not free to handle this procedure.  Now, when we set out on this journey, I prayed and fasted because I really wanted to rely on God to help us along the way.  I am what you would nicely call frugal, but most just call me cheap!  I really don't like to spend money on much, especially on myself.  However, after prayer and a few excel sheets of preparation I knew that with hard work we could really reach the goal.  We are fortunate enough to have an insurance plan that pays for half of the procedure and a "side" (I say side because it is definitely full time nowadays) catering and event planning business that would help us reach our half goal.  After a month and a half of putting money aside...I never really counted it regularly I just kept it away from all other money, having to take some out because you know things always come up and then put some more in sometimes a little (literally $5 a few times) and sometimes a lot...well we were only short $450.00 of our goal amount!  I was absolutely so proud of us, it has been a rough month of a lot of extra work, which for my husband and I meant working 12 to 15 days straight him harder than me I would say because he actually has a full time job as well.  My full time job is taking care of the kids which of course can be a lot but I think it has way more rewards than his desk job!  We have another savings account that we were able to pull the last little bit from and move forward with the process!  Definitely so rewarding and exciting.  We are now able to relax and enjoy the day to day ride with you all! 
 

That is our box of meds that we had to take in...so that they could inventory that we had everything we needed! 
Don't you just love our reflections...you see the excitement grins on our faces!


No comments:

Post a Comment